Saturday, June 17, 2006

We're just too clean

I saw this article in the paper this morning. Strangely enough, I had a conversation this past week about something similar to this. Now we weren't saying we weren't dirty enough but we were wondering about the sharp rise in childhood allergies in the past few years.

At first glance, this seems to make a bit of sense. If you were anything like I was as a child, you were constantly outside playing in the woods and mud. These days, kids tend to stay inside more because parents are so worried about idiots in the world. So whereas I was coming in constant contact with all kinds of germs, kids today are living in a much more sterile environment with air purifiers & such. I guess time will tell if this is a valid study.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

John & I have had conversations about this too...were you talking to him! ;)
Lori

Lucas Parry said...

My wife and I are expecting our first child soon, and we were chatting about this the other day. Its crazy how paranoid we are nowadays about germs. I remember when I spent time in Africa as a missionary, I had cockroaches crawling on my back as I slept in bed (the floor).... it was a bit gross, but expected, so no-one cared. Interesting??

Sonya said...

Lucas, Congratulations on your baby! But I must draw the line, don't let any cockroaches crawl on the baby:)

And Lori, I think I was talking to you guys. I seem to remember eating. I bet we were at Sunday lunch.