I thought about writing this last night but I really am trying to hold back on some of the hockey posts. But today I was discussing it at lunch & it still was giving me chills, so I'm sharing...
Like all sporting events in the USA, they play the national anthem. Only with the NHL, since there are some teams in Canada & some in the states, whenever teams from both countries are playing each other, both anthems are played. Last night with the game in Edmonton, the singer sings the Star Spangled Banner & I was shocked to hear the crowd singing along. That gave me a small case of the chills. Then the singer began Oh Canada. He got just a few lines into it & then just held up the microphone. It was absolutely stunning. The crowd & Canadian players just continued to sing the rest of the anthem accapella. You could understand every word.
By the way,I love when the Preds play a Canadian team. Oh Canada is a really great national anthem... and no hard notes to hit. I like to sing along.
The next game will be in Edmonton on NBC Monday night 8PM EST. I'm not asking you to watch the entire game. Just check out the national anthems.
Update: It wasn't just me. I found this via Kukla.
Sunday, June 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Shania Twain is the only good thing to come out of Canada! (Just kidding, Mrs. Appalachian Irishman!)
Trust me, I've dealt with many bad Canadians!
silly boy...
Post a Comment