Our 1st full day in London & we did what all 1st time visitors to the city do (& I highly recommend it). We took a sightseeing tour of the city. There are a couple of big companies that use the double decker buses. We used the
The Original Tour. For one ticket, you have access to 4 different tour routes plus a river cruise. You can hop on & off of any bus for 24 hours.

It's Big Ben!... oh &Parliament too.

And here's Trina taking photo's of Big Ben.

And here's Lady Luck showing off in front of the London Eye. We didn't actually ride it because... well... I have a little fear of heights & one rotation of this thing take 30 minutes.

The dome in the back is St. Paul's Cathedral. And the rest is um... stuff around St. Paul's. All I know is that every time I see it, I start humming the Birdlady song from Mary Poppins.

The Tower of London. I'll have more pictures of this on the post for the 21st.

London Bridges. For some reason, when I wasn't singing the Birdlady song, I was singing the Clash's "London Calling".

I have to confess the rest are photo's that Trina took. This is Big Ben from the bus as we were going across the Thames. While we were on the bus, my batteries died & my back-up rechargeable batteries weren't actually charged. So until we found a Boot's & batteries, I was camera-less. What's Boots, you ask? Think Walgreen... & just like Walgreens, they're everywhere except they have a really good sandwich, chips, & drink deal.. & the sandwiches weren't bad.

a statue of Sir Winston Churchill.

The Lions at Trafalgar Square. And yes, I believe that's a bit of construction going on. Although it could've just been part of the set up in the Square for a big show they broadcasted on Saturday night on the BBC. They set a world record for the most different kinds of dancing done simultaneously... or something like that. Trina & I actually walked by while they were taping but we had some very important magnet shopping to do so we didn't stay too long.

Trafalgar Square with the National Gallery in the background. It was so hot that I did squeeze in & put my feet in the fountain late in the day. We got to see a lot of beautiful paintings in the National Gallery. The Monet's were wonderful. Unfortunately the room with the Van Gogh's was being remodeled. So there's something to look forward to in the next trip.

On of the dragon's leading into the City of London. You should know that London is actually made up of a lot of smaller communities. Only part of London is truly London. If the dragon is facing you, you are entering the city. If you see it's tail, then you are leaving the city.

And last, here's one of the buses that we traveled on. I had heard before I left that London had done away with all the open air double decker buses and was sad that we would miss that. I soon discovered that it was just the city buses that no longer are open.
3 comments:
An interesting fact you forgot to mention: HRM Queen Elizabeth herself must receive permission by the Lord Mayor of the City of London to enter into the City of London.
Oh, and when I saw London Bridge, I was appropriately thinking "London Bridge is Falling Down"
And you forgot the other downfall for the London Eye...100 dollar tickets.
An interesting fact you forgot to mention: HRM Queen Elizabeth herself must receive permission by the Lord Mayor of the City of London to enter into the City of London.
Oh, and when I saw London Bridge, I was appropriately thinking "London Bridge is Falling Down"
And you forgot the other downfall for the London Eye...100 dollar tickets.
I didn't know that Trina stuttered!
Post a Comment