After checking out of our hotel, we walked a few blocks to Kings Cross station... you know the one where Harry gets on the Hogwarts Express. Only we were heading to Edinburgh instead of Hogwarts. The trip was pretty uneventful. I thought we'd see a lot of pretty scenery along the way but the trip was pretty boring. So if you are ever traveling between London & Edinburgh & the prices are equal... just fly. You won't be missing anything. After a nice little hike, we finally made it to our hotel,
The Royal Terrace Hotel (which surprise, surprise was undergoing renovation... & somehow AAA got me a very good discount). It wasn't long until we were on the move. We walked over to what is called the Old Town & in particular a street called the Royal Mile.

It's called such because the street begins here at the Palace of Holyroodhouse (the Queen's residence when she's in the city) and ends about a mile away at Edinburgh Castle. Or maybe it begins at the Castle & ends at the Palace... who knows. Any way, the Palace is where we began.

Moving up the street, we saw Canongate Tolbooth.

And wouldn't you know it, there was construction happening on the street.

And just like Nashville did the catfish & guitars around town, Edinburgh had cows sitting around town. This one's dressed like the very famous William Wallace. Very funny.

We finally made it up to Edinburgh Castle. And actually it's not construction in the photo. In this case, they were setting up the bleachers for the Military Tattoo which takes place every August. Wish we could've seen it (I adore bagpipes).

Since it was almost closing time, we didn't actually go into the castle. Here's another photo of the castle showing a bit of the extinct volcano it's built on top of. Now how they know it's completely extinct & not just in a very very deep coma or something, I don't know. :)

We then headed back towards the hotel. When we were crossing the North Bridge I noticed all these cool monuments on top of that hill.

So I zoomed in & took some more photos. I later learned this is called Calton Hill.

And here's Arthur's Seat. And no, we didn't even consider climbing it. The weather in Edinburgh was heavenly... probably in the mid 70s. Then we were sitting in the hotel room & suddenly realize that it was around 10pm & just dusk. I could really get used to spending summers in Scotland!
No comments:
Post a Comment