Thursday, April 06, 2006
Kakuro
I like to work puzzles... Just about any kind of puzzle. And once I find something I like, I tend to obsess on it until I get bored. For a while it was jigsaw puzzles, then I got Scully & that was a little hard to do with her around. Then I went on a word search obsession, followed by fill-ins, and crosswords, and well you get the picture. Lately my obsession had been sudoku. To me, it was much easier than any of the word puzzles I'd tried - must be the math geek within I guess. However, I was starting to get a little bored of them. So when I was waiting for my prescription to be filled when I was sick a few weeks ago, I started looking through all the sudoku books & magazines trying to find something a bit different in them (I once found a magazine with a grid that you went 1-16 instead of the usual 1-9). But this time I wasn't having any luck. That's when I stumbled upon kakuro. It's a crossword puzzle but with numbers. Like sudoku, you can only use each digit from 1-9 once in a row or column. Unlike sudoku, you don't necessarily use all 9 digits but the digits have to add up to the sum given. Now this is a challenge! So much so that it wasn't until last night that I actually finished an entire puzzle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I like puzzles too. I've always compared accounting to a crossword puzzle, BUT, I haven't caught the sudoko bug yet. I tried one the other day and it was tooooooo hard, or maybe I'm just too lazy to think that much!
Lori
If you try the ones in the newspaper, start with the Monday one. Just like the Monday crossword puzzle, it's the easiest of the week.
Post a Comment