Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Vacation: July 25th

And now here's where my memory gets a bit fuzzy. I have all kinds of photos of pretty bens (mountains) & lochs (lakes). And I know that our wonderful tour guide Ped told us the names of all of them. Unfortunately, I don't remember which names goes with which photos. So maybe this is Ben Nevis, the tallest mountain in Scotland.
Then again, maybe this is Ben Nevis.
Or maybe even this is Ben Nevis. You get the idea.
Day 2 of the tour, had us taking our longest "wee walk" of the tour. We were told that we would take about an hour round trip to see Steall Waterfall at the foot of Ben Nevis (I admit, my travel book had a photo of the waterfall otherwise I would've just said "a cool waterfall"). Well in what seemed to be a trend for us, once we were off the bus it was like herding cats to get us all back on the bus. I think the trek ended up being more in the 2 hour range (although if I'm wrong I'm sure Trina will correct me).
So here's some photos of our little hike.
That's Trina a bit ahead. And way in the distance is the Waterfall.
Another shot of the waterfall. Ped told us that it was in one of the Harry Potter films. If anyone can remember which movie & what scene, let me know. I'm drawing a blank.
I learned a very important lesson on this walk... always carry a bottle of water. I wasn't expecting this long walk so I didn't have anything with me. Luckily Trina had a bottle & we shared. We even did something I never would think of doing here... we refilled the bottle in this stream. Very good mountain water, I must say. Either that or I was so desperate for water that anything would've tasted wonderful.
And our Harry Potter experience wasn't over yet. Here's the train bridge that they used in the flying car scene in the 2nd movie. And just for good measure, see the construction stuff in the lower left of the photo.
This is how far we actually were from the bridge. I know, great zoom, huh?

And here's what you see looking the opposite direction from the bridge. And I believe it was the real reason for the stop. The tower is a monument for Bonnie Prince Charlie. According to the travel book, it's called the Glenfinnan Monument & commemorates where he formed his "army" in the Jacobite rebellion. Also, according to the book, this loch is Loch Shiel.
And here's Trina taking photos. She's to the right of the girl sitting on the ground.
Here are a few more pretty pictures.
Somewhere between Ben Nevis & the Isle of Skye.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. The walk was in the multiple hours range because 2 memebers of our party conveniently got lost.
2. The waterfall is in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4), I think in the backgroud when Harry and Lupin are speaking.
3. I think the last picture is right by Eilan Donnan castle, which I'm sure will come up later. Although I could be mistaken. I just know we stopped there shortly before arriving at Skye.

Anonymous said...

What kind of camera do you have? --Darlene

Sonya said...

I've got a Kodak Easy Share Z740. I really like it.